Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rewind to Mid July

Wow, a crazy couple of weeks...computer broke down, decided to go back to school, looking for jobs, campaigns a goin', potlucks, potlucks and more potlucks.

So here is a rewind of the few weeks I missed.
_______________________________________________________________
The Little Activists-
A few weeks ago, an organization I volunteer with called Peaceful Uprising, received an invitation to go to a local summer camp and do an activity around climate justice. Having worked with kids for 11 years, and believing that kids are powerful activist, I immediatly volunteered to lead the activity.

Inspired by the book "When the Children Marched" and I came up with a great slide show showcasing kid activists all the way back from the 1800's to the present.


The day went pretty well, with games, art projects, dress-ups, and the making of a short film. It was my first time presenting Activism to kids and outside of deciding to take out a slide which showed a 6 yr old getting arrested for being a part of a peaceful civil rights protest march (the kids were pretty upset about that one); I really think the kids left feeling they had the ability to make a difference.
_________________________________________________________________ 
Recycled Night on the Town

My friend Becky invite me out for a night on the town. First we went to the Sugarhouse Farmers Market!! I love seeing people I know selling their own-grown produce. And I love love buying a bag of local cherries, sitting in the shade of a giant tree watching people go by. And then to look behind me into a vacant lot and see that a tree that I had planted as apart of a guerrilla gardening night was still there!! Wow it doesn't get much better.

But wait it did!! We then went to Tony Caputos downtown and sat outside on the patio and ate yummy Tiramisu, my favorite dessert. Afterwords we strolled the local gallery and saw some really cool recycled/reclaimed art pieces. Can you guess what they are made out of?


_________________________________________________________________
Bikin with Style-

I decided that if I was going to be riding my bike I would need a fancy basket/carrying thingy and being dirt poor at the moment, I jimmy-rigged an old crate onto my old rusted bike with a bungee cord and away I went!!
Thats right folks...going "green" is not always fancy! ;-) But it sure is super cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment